Friday, February 24, 2012

Guest Post

My Mom is visiting and sent an email back to our family.  I asked if I could post it here for another perspective on this little adventure in the sun.

Today is Friday Feb 17. Yesterday I thought it would be a great idea to pick up some fresh fish at the fish market.  I walked down the beach, went into the shack they sell fresh fish from.  It has two freezers, a scale and a desk with the required calculator.  Everywhere you go to buy from the Dominicans they have hand held calculators and as you ask prices they show you the amount on the calculator.  Works well for those of us who don’t understand Spanish.  Anyway, back to the fish market.  I called Colin and asked about prices and then off I went.  I chose two lobsters and had the tail cut in half.  Then I chose (or rather they suggested) a filet of Dorado (very popular and inexpensive). The last time I bought fish I bought 2 whole fish and they showed me the gills (nice and red and still a little slimy) that’s the way you know that the fish is fresh.  I should have thought about that little lesson.  Anyway, I brought my fish back to the condo, washed them and put them in bags and in the refrigerator.  Cliff sounded the first alarm; He said that fish smells too much.  I wasn’t crazy about the smell, but you know fish.  Of we went to the kids place and Carmen and I went to the sailing club to pick up Cohen and then to our place to get the fish.  We both agreed that the Dorado was pretty stinky, so Carmen said let’s ask the fishermen that were just coming up the beach with one very large Dorado.  We opened the bag a million flies appeared out of nowhere and the fisherwoman said something in Spanish that made me realize that she wouldn’t eat that fish.  The lesson is, never buy a fish filet.  If you don’t want the whole fish choose a nice fresh fish and get them to give you a filet from that one, if they won’t do that, don’t buy the fish.  The lobster was fresh, but not as good as Atlantic lobster.  The meat is not as firm and sweet.

I haven’t driven the quad since we got here so I drove yesterday.  Nice and easy, the road is bumpy the drivers are passing on all sides, and there are no rear view mirrors, so I took it easy.  When we got to the Condo, Chase had a coin and I had to pick heads or tails.  I chose heads and won, but found there was no prize.  Then it was Carmen’s turn, she pick correctly also, I asked Chase what her prize was, he told me that she got to drive the quad home because I drove to slow. 5 year olds looking to race with the rest of the people, what is this world coming to?

Today was grocery day. The two downtown streets make a one way loop.  We experienced a traffic jam, Hummers, SUV’s trucks, quads motorcycles, bumper to bumper the fume of gasoline was terrible.  We finally discovered the cause, a broken water main on a side street with a river of water rushing down the street.

Colin had the truck washed today for our trip next week to Puerto Plata.  They spray the whole underbody of vehicles here with oil to prevent rust, and they clean the interior with something that makes the cloth seats have a plastic film on them.  Colin said a friend of his didn’t think oiling the underbody was necessary; he ended up losing a wheel on the highway. 

Gasoline here is expensive I don’t know how much per gallon, because they don’t have it on the pumps, but they do have a meter that tells how much you owe.  The gas cost $ 743 DR I gave him $ 750 ($19) and he said God Bless you for the 7 DR Tip (20 cents CDN) Pretty cheap way to get blessed.

On Saturday Colin, Chase and I went snorkeling. 

On Sunday we went to Playas de Valle near Samana, short trip, long ride.  The high-way from Las Terranas to Samana is well paved but twists and turns, so KK had to throw-up a number of times.  At Samana we picked up gravol so the rest of the ride was uneventful in terms of KK.  We went to a waterfall where Colin, Chase and Cohen climbed to the top and dove in the water a few times, then off to the beach.  The cafe there had just got some fresh river shrimp, they were huge, as well as another type of fish, lunch was shrimp, fish, chicken, rice and beans, French fries and fried plantains.  Excellent food. 

The ocean at that beach has a very dangerous rip-tide so no swimming.  We walked around the beach to the end of the beach and beginning of the mountain.  Along the way we came across a very large sail boat.  I must have been 60 ft. long.  A fellow from Puerto Rica had sailing into the bay and his boat had been crashed into the rocks.  It was split in half, and the mast was broken into 3 pieces.  I wonder if there was more to the story.

Right now I am walking around with $8470 DR in my wallet (about $200 CND).  That is about how much the cleaning lady here at the condo gets paid for 2 months work.  I spent $750 at the grocery store today $350 for a bottle of wine, the rest was for a loaf of bread, dozen eggs, very small bottle of dishwashing detergent, 8 ounces of bleach, pack of gum and small slice of emmental cheese ($459 per pound). Of course we shop at the tourist market (maybe cheaper at the DR market, but it smells so bad there you can’t stay long enough to buy anything).

Some stores here are closed from 1 to 3 in the afternoon.  Full time employees work a 44 hour week.  They do not pay income tax unless they earn over $20,000 per month, but they do pay a small percentage for health insurance and pension.  They have a labor law here that requires an employer to pay 1 months’ salary to every full time worker on December 20 (Christmas Pay). Children can’t work until 16 but they are really busy at the supermarket, offering to protect your car, wash it (heaven only know what they will use to wash it with).  Colin and Carmen’s friend calls this child labour, I call them entrepreneurs. (Note from Colin:  I would call them entrepreneurs, too if I wasn't pretty sure there was a kind of "fagin" who takes most of what the children earn).

No comments:

Post a Comment